I am getting that itch again to sign up for a race.....this time a 50K. My plan is to run a 50K race nearby home in Springfield, VA about 3 weeks-4 after the 2016 Marine Corps Marathon; therefore banking on the fact that I can use the marathon training and the marathon run itself as the training run for the 50K. I know, I am quite a little genius. The main issue now is WILL I BE ABLE to finish the race before the cutoff. Things are looking quite hopeful. One, my foot feels fine after yesterday's 7 miles. That is HUGE!! Second, I was able to finish the 7 miles in a 12.5 minute/mile pace! Granted this is treadmill miles, so I cannot be too sure this translates to my real pace on land...but, it cannot be that OFF, can it?
So which race am I thinking of? Well, I went onto the Trail and Ultra Running Group on Facebook and asked for a flat-ish 50K with a forgiving cut-off near my home and near the MCM date (third week in October). One race that stood out amongst the few suggestions was the Rosaryville Veterans Day 50K . Sounds fine with the exception that it's, not two, but THREE 9 point something loops.....emotionally, loops are a bit tough to swallow. But, it's the most possible one so far.
In doing research for the race I always look up last year's times. Having once before been THE LAST person in a race makes me keenly aware of other last place folks. As you can see, last year one person, age 24 came in at 9:02 hours....so this gives me hope that maybe, just maybe their 8 hour cut-off is not so hard and fast. Of course, I have no intention on going past 8 hours, but it's just nice to know. There is 480 minutes in 8 hours, for a 31 mile race that's about 15.5 minute mile average. Half of me is convinced I can do this EASY, but another part of me keeps reminding me, "it's a trail race", paces are often a bit slower due to obstacles, hills, and roots.

No comments:
Post a Comment