Nothing beats self pride.
You can get hundreds of accolades all day from people about the progress you are making, yet, the accolades we give ourselves are worth 1,000 times more in my book.
Yesterday, I learned how to forward flip over in the pool and kick off the wall. I did not grow up knowing how to swim. At age 42 I take my first swimming lesson and now I am much more confident in the water. Therefore, a front flip in the water may seems super simple for people who grew up swimming, yet, this was huge for me! On the drive home from that lesson I was beaming. You see, for the longest time I was terrified of laying face up under water and this is what I finally learned how to do today and it's something I would have always imagined impossible...at least for me, with so many issues around water.
We all have things we are terrified to try out as grown-ups so experiences such as this, where age-old fears are laid to rest mean the world to me. Why? Because if there exists other fears growing cobwebs in my mind, I know that although I may not know how I can beat them right now, that's inconsequential. All I need to know is that beating our fears IS possible. The how happens in trusting the process, in trusting that in doing a small bit every time will eventually chip away at those fears.
Suddenly, I feel empowered to search and find other fear-based beliefs about myself that may be lurking in the dark.... what else is possible, now that this is possible? Maybe I can run Boston in a few years, or maybe I can run 100 miles someday, maybe I can actually get faster....who knows.
No comments:
Post a Comment