Monday, January 25, 2016

Franken-sneakers



The New Balance's MT1010 trail sneakers have been my sneakers for over 3 years now. They are seriously the best. Sadly, they discontinued my shoes and the new version has this weird addition on the toe that is too tough. I even went out and bought a new pair of the new generation ones and had to return them, the back of the sneaker was cutting into my heel and cut into my feet in one run. OUCH! I have run my 50K in these, I have run maybe about 4 out of my 6 marathons in these. 

           I know what you are thinking. "Shouldn't I get new sneakers after certain miles?". Yes and no. My running gait is fairly even and so all my sneakers wear out pretty evenly throughout the entire shoe. Also, having read tons on minimalist running books, magazines and blogs and being a proponent of it myself, I was aiming to make my evenly-wearing sneakers into a minimalist shoes...that is until it tore. Know that the New balance MT1010 is already a 4mm shoe, and becoming even lower and lower with time. My ankles, shins and legs have become used to having little to no support while running, thanks to my 'system' allowing me better traction on various surfaces thanks to the direct feedback on my feet with the ground. Therefore, I decided to repair my sneakers to give them extra life. This specific brand is famous for wearing and tearing at these specific spots (see pic above and below). The first pair this happened to I called the company and they sent me a new pair. I then bought two more pairs and now, it's no longer made/sold. There are a few pairs on Amazon for the less desired sizes such 5s, 6s and 11s.....but none in 8.5W. 




I decided to use a stretchy tech material, dental floss, thimble and thick needle with a hole big enough to thread the floss thorough. 

Okay, so I am not the best seamstress in the world but these shoes are like new. I saved $88 by returning my new sneakers that cut into my feet and will see how much more these pairs have in them. 

I know these look hilarious....but, I could not be happier.....I don't have to deal with pebbles getting into my shoes and I will continue to strengthen my legs, feet and ankles to less and less support....Call me crazy, but I can't wait to go running in my new-used sneakers. 











No comments:

Post a Comment