Saturday, November 2, 2013

Running Makes Me a Better Listener

                      I absolutely LOVE talking about running. Anytime anyone, even a stranger, asks me about my running obsession, I feel myself get so excited I could burst. Literally, I could go on and on and on the minute someone inquires. 

                On the one hand, I am somewhat lucky to already be married to someone who also plans on being a life-long runner. Therefore, I can at least get most of my 'run-talk' out of my system with him and for that I am so, so grateful. We can talk splits, pace, share silly stories from our runs and even share a tacit understanding of each others' need to even run daily. Yet, most other people in my life, no matter how much they may love me, could barely feign interest in my beloved obsession, and THAT is totally okay. This is not a 'gripe post' at all. It's not like me to even worry about what others do or don't do. 

               But, something wonderful has come out of this unfulfilled need I have. In noticing my own need to verbally burst forward with my running adventures gives me insights on how to perhaps be more compassionate towards people who may also have their own subject they love to talk about. Understanding my own crazy need to talk about my own running passion allows me to be more aware and compassionate towards others' possible obsessions.  I see my role as being the one who provides others the space and the time in which they could open and be themselves. I have come to learn that people's experience of one another is valued largely based on how well you allow another to share their story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment