Regardless of what happens with this decision on the 50K race, these struggles with confidence have been so revealing on the flimsy nature of confidence. I could have easily cowered to my fears and given up. But each time I push past those fears and go for a long run, I am again fully replenished. How amazing to discover that lack of confidence is only a smokescreen; the more I ignore it the more it melts away to nothing.
life through the eyes of a runner. (Ideas on this blog are solely mine and cannot be used without my written permission. Unlawful use of images/ideas will be prosecuted)
Sunday, July 7, 2013
Lessons in the Nature of Confidence
This morning I woke up totally convinced I would pull myself out of the 50K race I have signed up for in October 2013. There is something about the mornings that make me doubt every bit of myself and this morning I came very close to actually caving under the pressure of my ever-creeping fears. I ended up rolling myself out of bed anyway and getting my butt out the door. After completing 10 miles I was beaming and once again my confidence was filled. The confidence is so short lived though and only going out and running again can replenish that confidence. At this point I will continue to follow my training program, and set aside all fears of potential logistical issues I perceive will pop once I start working again and the increasing milage. I will let those future problems be tackled as they arise, later, and hope that my growing strength will help boost my confidence.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment