Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Earthly connections 

    I was a cranky mess last night chasing my kids around to go to bed. I threatened, yelled, pleaded and was able to get to bed by 10pm. That is super early for a working mom. Normally I need this time to unwind, but I wanted to get a morning run in and what better way to succesfully get up for a morning run than to go to bed super early. I woke up at 4am and laid in bed for 20 minutes. Got up got ready and stepped outside. The smell of the morning was
almost as magical as the sounds of the dark morning. I put away my earphones after about a minute and chose to just enjoy the morning sounds instead. 

     It had rained the day before so all the tall grass on either side of the path I take were leaning over wetting my entire lower leg as I ran past them. I imagined they were nature fans, giving me gentle, wet high fives as I ran past them. I left the house at 5am, so around 5:35am I began to see the sky brighten up and was sad to see the darkness fade. There is a cozy annonimity about running in the dark. I quickly got over this as I welcomed the low laying fog that rose over the trees and were now visible thanks to the light. 

       I smirked thinking how few gifts a treadmill really had to offer. On a treadmill you will not have wet, tall grasses giving your legs soft high-fives, on a treadmill you would not have to maneuver around muddy puddles or get the full breadth of the morning smells and sounds. I feel so fotunate to be able to do this.....and to think I almost rolled over and went back to bed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment