Today was one of those mind-over-matter days. I woke up at 4:30am to do my 16....it was cold and rainy.......I hate hot, but I despise cold even more....but it gave me a chance to wear my Pistol Ultra hoodie....finally! While over two years ago I ran a 20-miler in the cold cold rain, I did not feel like it today. I decided not to dwell on this sad fact about my aging body and kept on getting ready. I had charged my iPad overnight and had packed my gym bag with salt tablets, GU, take, scissors, extra clothes, vaseline....I was going to do this at the gym while watching Ozark, a new series I am obsessed about. Nothing in me wanted to do this....and even more pressing, nothing in me believed this was possible......Hour one went by...I did fine, took a bathroom break, had a salt tablet and back at it. I returned to my treadmill and an older guy planted himself on the machine right next to me. Oh boy, this was going to be interesting. At 5am the gym had about 30 empty treadmills and this guy is right up my ass. I ignored and continued. He interrupted me three times to tell me how well lI was doing and once to ask me if I was training for the olympics.... I hate compliments and I did not know how to take his mixed bag of compliments. The olympics compliment made me feel nice, but to repeat 5 times, "you are doing very well" was both creepy and totally confusing. Had to idea what to think. I chose to imagine that he may be not quite there. That made me refocus and continue. At mile 8 he got off and again complimented me but I was so happy he was leaving. At mile 12 I was glowing and my iPad ran out of juice. I switched to music and ran strong until mile 16...I was wearing a huge smile on my face! The deed was D.O.N.E. Got off, stretched and went home to regular life....
life through the eyes of a runner. (Ideas on this blog are solely mine and cannot be used without my written permission. Unlawful use of images/ideas will be prosecuted)
Sunday, September 9, 2018
16 miles completed.....and a PR...
Today was one of those mind-over-matter days. I woke up at 4:30am to do my 16....it was cold and rainy.......I hate hot, but I despise cold even more....but it gave me a chance to wear my Pistol Ultra hoodie....finally! While over two years ago I ran a 20-miler in the cold cold rain, I did not feel like it today. I decided not to dwell on this sad fact about my aging body and kept on getting ready. I had charged my iPad overnight and had packed my gym bag with salt tablets, GU, take, scissors, extra clothes, vaseline....I was going to do this at the gym while watching Ozark, a new series I am obsessed about. Nothing in me wanted to do this....and even more pressing, nothing in me believed this was possible......Hour one went by...I did fine, took a bathroom break, had a salt tablet and back at it. I returned to my treadmill and an older guy planted himself on the machine right next to me. Oh boy, this was going to be interesting. At 5am the gym had about 30 empty treadmills and this guy is right up my ass. I ignored and continued. He interrupted me three times to tell me how well lI was doing and once to ask me if I was training for the olympics.... I hate compliments and I did not know how to take his mixed bag of compliments. The olympics compliment made me feel nice, but to repeat 5 times, "you are doing very well" was both creepy and totally confusing. Had to idea what to think. I chose to imagine that he may be not quite there. That made me refocus and continue. At mile 8 he got off and again complimented me but I was so happy he was leaving. At mile 12 I was glowing and my iPad ran out of juice. I switched to music and ran strong until mile 16...I was wearing a huge smile on my face! The deed was D.O.N.E. Got off, stretched and went home to regular life....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment