My first running route.....27 years ago....
When I was a teenager, and spending the summers at my mom's job in East Hampton, NY, I use to get up every morning and run 3 miles as the sun rose. My mom worked as a housekeeper to a wonderful family who spent summers in the Hamptons. Nevertheless, this 3 miles, this was my first real running route. At that time in my life, I was going through absolute hell at home and running was my only source of literal and figurative "fresh air". It was beyond liberating going out in the elements, rain or shine, and just running. Running buried itself deep in my heart during those summers. How can it not, for to suddenly feel heavenly in the midst of all the personal horror I was living, how could it not become other-worldly?
Like long-owned prayer beads, daily running routes take on a very comforting feel. In my dreams I often visit this sacred route and in my dreams I can remember every texture change on the road, every scent from the potatoes rotting in summer past the pond to the roses near the entrance to the beach, all the way to the view of the new swan family every year. It's no wonder these days, after a long day of stress and work I can think of nothing more than a good, hard run. Running is my confidant, my wisest and best friend, my savior, my sanity maker, my comfort pillow, my one and only constant.
Today was one of those stressful days. Kids were being unusually loud in every class so when 3:30pm came I was ready to get out of there and hit the gym. The plan was to do an hour of weights, then go home. But, as my heart began pumping it also began to insanely crave the feel of my legs pounding and the freedom felt while running. I texted my sweet husband and as-a-matter-of-factly announced that I'd be a bit later than I thought and got on the mill for a fast 5K, in addition to my hour of weights. Although I did not show it, the inner smile in me stretched from ear to ear as I walked out of that place.... all was fine with the world, I loved all people again (yes, even Trump voters...lol) and all hope was restored.
No comments:
Post a Comment