Monday, May 19, 2014

You don't need all that shit to feel worthy

           One of my favorite children's book is called, "The Biggest House In The World"by Leo Lionni. In it, a happy snail continues to accumulate more and more shells, eventually becoming too big, too elaborate to move and enjoy being a snail.  I think of this book almost daily as I encounter our own cultural ways of overconsumption, bloated egos, bloated salaries (of the few), and even the processed food industry all of which have gotten so far out of control that the side affects from such excesses are beginning to affect all of society in one way of another. 

            Just like this snail, we have become weighed down by our things. We now show more pride in what we own and not who we are. In fact, I think we now sadly define our own self-worth by what we own. I was in Georgetown, DC this weekend. My phone was damaged and the only Apple store around was there.....unfortunately for me, I hate going to placed like this, I was nauseous almost immediately. Let me explain for those non-DC folks; Georgetown is a "unique" place in DC in which there are scores of high-end shops selling ridiculously high-priced items and white linen, poshy restaurants mixed in with million-dollar historical homes, pretty much a simple person's nightmare.  While yes, these things are gorgeous and alluring and oh, so perfect, they also become barriers to all that is genuine about life; they become barriers to your real self, to true self-improvement, to your true self-worth. Katie Byron, one of my favorite authors, always asks, "who are you without all your things?. This question conveniently brings me to running. 

            One of THE MOST attractive things about running is its simplicity. You don't need anything but sneakers and your body to go out and build some pride for yourself via the sport. For example, right now, I am sitting here glowing from the mere fact that just yesterday I ran 20 miles!! TWENTY FREAKING MILES!!  Running has placed the onus of self-worth right where it belongs, in my heart, in my own effort, my determination. No need for fancy cars, million-dollar homes, or Guccis to feel worthy and proud, I've got a million-dollar feet and million-dollar legs and a strong, healthy heart that provide me with all the happy I could possibly need. 


No comments:

Post a Comment